Birthday
I just realized now at 2:30 pm that it is June 17th the independence day of Iceland. In 1944, Iceland declared independence from the Danish crown. June 17 was chosen as the official holiday since it was the birthday of Jon Sigurdsson who is regarded as Iceland's champion to the nationalist cause. Therefore, I can justify folding laundry while having a glass of vine.
Usually on this day of all days we (Icelanders) gather to celebrate with parades, open air performances, dancing and music. The festivities end with a night long drunk-fest for the young while the grown gather with friends and family. I have many fond memories from down town Reykjavík on this wonderful day. Ending with an overpriced taxi ride back home to Mosfellsbær.
Usually on this day of all days we (Icelanders) gather to celebrate with parades, open air performances, dancing and music. The festivities end with a night long drunk-fest for the young while the grown gather with friends and family. I have many fond memories from down town Reykjavík on this wonderful day. Ending with an overpriced taxi ride back home to Mosfellsbær.


3 Comments:
At 12:20 PM ,
acw said...
Happy June 17th!
At 1:38 PM ,
Malnurtured Snay said...
Happy June 17th!!!
At 4:44 PM ,
Anonymous said...
Ó guð vors lands,
og lands vors guðs.
Ég strækaði á skrúðgöngur og flúði upp í bústað með grísina. Ég meika ekki fjölmenni. Enda voru fimmtíu þúsund íslendingar oní miðbæ á föstudaginn. Fimmtíu þúsund!
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home